Hello.

More
18 May 2015 14:53 #72556 by Imperial
Replied by Imperial on topic Hello.

I thought it was specific pages, so I commented them out in gameobjectfiles.xml but it didn't work.

Yeah commenting out one or 2 files you recently worked on mostly works as long they are not depended by vanilla .xmls or any of your own .xmls.
But commenting more files of the gof out almost certainly leads into crashes, especially for teamcompany and hero files.

This is why you should never do more then you can keep in mind for overview. If anything crashes the game you will need a clue where the issue could be.

Which means, that it's something in the existing/original files, that I've edited, recently, right?

Not necessarely. As I sed, if for examlpe you mention the unit "Groundteam_2" in any of your added .xmls and commented its file out this will.. well it will crash the game because of the unknown instance. Otherwise it indeed could be the vanilla stuff you recently edited. To find that out you could copy the files with your changes anywhere into a folder and replace the vanilla files you edited one by one (or a few then again a few) with original vanilla files, and if it works you could then localize the issue. (sometimes there is more then one issue, which is very confusing)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Tecness
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
18 May 2015 22:27 #72568 by Tecness
Replied by Tecness on topic Hello.
So I gave up on trying to figure it out, I can remember what I've edited these past few days. So I just used last version I had, which is about a week old. So no big loss really. I would have tried it your way, but I've edited a significant portion of the original xml files as well, so replacing them with unedited versions, would also break the game as well.

More
18 May 2015 23:55 #72571 by Imperial
Im glad you're that lucky to have a backup.

I've edited a significant portion of the original xml files as well

You hopefully learned a new rule: small steps
Better do only a few things then test then once in a while whether it works before you apply more changes. ;)

I learned my lessons the hard way as well, really hate the way this game engine works..

• Tecness
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
19 May 2015 06:12 - 19 May 2015 08:58 #72573 by Tecness
Wasn't really a backup. I had to factory reset the laptop I was using to code it, so I transferred all the stuff to my other one. Just a coincidental stroke of luck.

I've added a subjugator class ship to the game, and I've changed it from a Super Star Destroyer to a normal capital (Albeit, a large one). I thought I changed the view range, it's currently set it;
<Space_FOW_Reveal_Range>1200.0</Space_FOW_Reveal_Range>
<Targeting_Max_Attack_Distance>1000.0</Targeting_Max_Attack_Distance>
But for whatever reason, this still covers almost the entirety of the map. However, when I select the subjugator, the area revealed, shrinks.
Last edit: 19 May 2015 08:58 by Tecness.

More
19 May 2015 13:36 #72575 by Imperial
Maybe your unit is a squadron or a hero container, if yes the engine will spawn this unit AND a hidden, invisible hero. In the code of this hero could be a bigger value for <Space_FOW_Reveal_Range>.
Atleast this is the first possible reason I am thinking of.

Or your unit has 2 tags for <Space_FOW_Reveal_Range>, the later value is bigger then the first one and overwrites it.

Or you have any other unit on the field that has a high value for this.

• Tecness
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
19 May 2015 13:54 #72577 by Tecness

Imperial wrote: Or your unit has 2 tags for <Space_FOW_Reveal_Range>, the later value is bigger then the first one and overwrites it.

That would be it. The dangers of not proof-reading the code.
OH! You want to know what really sucks? In my transfer, somehow, my projectiles_enhanced.xml got deleted. I don't have a backup for it anywhere, nor an earlier version. Every new projectile I added, was in that file, and it's just gone. It realllllllly sucks. Oh well.

More
19 May 2015 14:01 #72578 by Imperial
Yeah, sucks =(

• Tecness
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
21 May 2015 16:16 #72607 by Tecness
So, weird bug. The YZ2500 Frigate I am using, was a very small model. I'm talking, Corvette sized. It was labeled, and created as a Corvette, but all the information I could find on that ship, said it was a frigate. So I made it larger with <ScaleFactor>, and changed the details and stuff. I tried to make the hardpoints visible on it, and I created an engine hardpoint. The Engine hardpoint is visible, but the others, are sorta not.
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=446471708
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=446472083
All of the other hardpoints, are located in the top left corner. That little green thingy, is the hardpoints.
So, the question is, why is it up there, and not on the ship.

More
21 May 2015 17:13 #72608 by Imperial
Well, <Is_Targetable>No</Is_Targetable> describes if the hardpoints are visible in green.

<Is_Destroyable>No</Is_Destroyable> is pretty selfexplanary, makes it attackable.

<Fire_Bone_A>Hardpoint_Name</Fire_Bone_A>
<Fire_Bone_B>Hardpoint_Name</Fire_Bone_B>

The firebones is the location where the projectiles are spawned and fire from. In the vanilla game each hardpoint has its position in the middle and 2 fire bones around it. But I usually allways use for Firebone A,B and these 2 tags:

<Attachment_Bone>Hardpoint_Name</Attachment_Bone>
<Collision_Mesh>Hardpoint_Name</Collision_Mesh>

Always the same Hardpoint_Name (which has to be ha hardpoint on your model), this makes the coding alot easier, especially if all hardpoints have simple numbers like 01,02 .. which means all you have to do is copy the hardpoint and increase the hardpoint count.

These 4 tags also define the position of the hardpoint on the model (if you use the same tag parameters for all hardpoint they will be placed over eachother to the same position, that maybe happend to you).

For more info you can have a look at my video tutorial about hardpoints:

but all the information I could find on that ship, said it was a frigate.

What do you mean with "all Information", the text strings ?

• Tecness
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
22 May 2015 01:28 - 22 May 2015 04:40 #72617 by Tecness
Click the pictures, it'll help with my explanation. I correctly added the hardpoints/made them visible/destroyable, but they aren't on the ship. They are in the top corner.
Last edit: 22 May 2015 04:40 by Tecness.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds