Hello.

• Tecness
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
09 Oct 2014 22:17 #69196 by Tecness
Replied by Tecness on topic Hello.
I thought about that, but in the end decided it'd be better to base it closer to the empire since they are an extremely basic faction. By that I mean, the rebels have the raid function, stealing technology, etc, and the underworld has the corruption, black market, all that stuff. While the empire, just has the research facility. But, seeing as how this is progressing, I may just have to copy the underworld in all it's entirety and try to remove all sources of corruption (because that could cause even more problems if two factions that were main enemies both had the SAME corruption and stuff). This task is annoying to say the least, I now understand why most mods just use modified versions of "BasicRebel/BasicEmpire" for new factions(They increase the AI's ability to build stuff, like their new buildings, but just limit them to use of specific factions, which is a hell of a lot easier).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2014 20:00 #69206 by Imperial
Replied by Imperial on topic Hello.
I think to remember that Thrawans Revenge is one of the few mods with modifyed fractions. You might want to have a look at theyr code.

• Locutus
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • [SGMG] Project Co-Lead, Lead Coder, 3D-Artist
More
10 Oct 2014 20:30 #69208 by Locutus
Replied by Locutus on topic Hello.
There is a difference between getting a fourth faction playable and just getting it's ai working. The latter is much simpler.
From what little experience I have with tempering with ais it should be sufficient to add a basic player for the faction.
If you have trouble getting the ai to work on a tactical map you could cheat a bit and attach an object script to each unit which forces it to attack (see vanilla underworld_hunt.lua).

• Tecness
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
14 Oct 2014 09:37 #69331 by Tecness

Imperial wrote: I think to remember that Thrawans Revenge is one of the few mods with modifyed fractions. You might want to have a look at theyr code.

Went through it, they used modified BasicRebel/BasicEmpire AI's as well.

Locutus wrote: There is a difference between getting a fourth faction playable and just getting it's ai working. The latter is much simpler.
From what little experience I have with tempering with ais it should be sufficient to add a basic player for the faction.
If you have trouble getting the ai to work on a tactical map you could cheat a bit and attach an object script to each unit which forces it to attack (see vanilla underworld_hunt.lua).

Getting an AI working with the faction is easy. Modifying the AI to properly function with the new faction, slightly more difficult.
However, I'm trying to create a new AI, get it working(and possibly make the faction playable, not sure yet) I could easily add "BasicEmpire/BasicRebel" to the Hutt faction, and then do the same in the campaigns xml, then go in and make them able to build the specific structures and all. But I would like to be unique, even if it means, incredibly more complex & difficult.

I'm going for a third attempt at creating the AI. The first attempt, I never actually finished, so I don't know if it would have worked, but judging by how it was actually going, the outcome was grim. The second attempt, just, nothing happened. The AI didn't do anything (so obviously I missed something). This third attempt, I'm going to do what they did for the underworld, add new LUA's and XML's for everything, specifying, everything. Hypothetically, that should work, right?

More
14 Oct 2014 11:44 #69338 by Imperial

Hypothetically, that should work, right?

Well hypothetically everything is allways possible. But for real.. its difficult. The bad thing is you have no guarantee it will finally work after investing weeks or months of your lifetime into it.
However, good luck trying it. Nothing in the world can keep a motivated coder from realizing his ideas ^^

• Tecness
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
26 Oct 2014 03:20 #69562 by Tecness
Sadly, the third attempt has failed. It was a slow process due to my laziness, but in the end, the entire galactic conquest AI (Rebel, Empire, Underworld) has stopped working.
Anyone else have some more suggestions?

More
26 Oct 2014 03:39 - 26 Oct 2014 03:42 #69563 by Imperial
Well I know about 2 things stopping the AI, both of them are written in our FAQ at point 5.8
PERCEPTUALEQUATIONS.xml could cause it maybe if you changed something there, or .. who knows, thats why messing with the AI is very difficult. You make one minor mistake and it kills the AI.

You could try removing the AI xmls you changed one by one until the AI is back, or have a look at my logic exclusion method in the 2nd post in my debugging thread:
www.stargate-eaw.de/index.php/de/compone...eaw-anti-bugs-thread

Otherwise, yeah. Im really sorry you wasnt able to do it. =(
Last edit: 26 Oct 2014 03:42 by Imperial.

• Tecness
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
26 Oct 2014 05:45 #69565 by Tecness
Alright, so it seems, by adding in stuff so the underworld AI could build a new building broke the AI. Oh well, that's fixed. And now I'm back to the problem where the Hutts just sit there. Doing nothing. Not building or moving. Nobody would know what script/file tells the AI's to move their fleets or something, would they?

More
26 Oct 2014 07:36 #69566 by Imperial
I think our issue is, the xml part of the engine calls LUA Scripts which calls other Lua scripts and xml files or single tags there ..
But noone bothered to describe in these files what is registered where and why. What function does what and why.
So obviously only the original creators at petroglyph know where the loose ends are supposed to be connected.
Doing or trying anyting else leads into either no result or hundreds of erros'n crashes :/

Well It is more work to make tutorials and describe all functions then actually writing them, so I can understand why.
This game has (compared to most others) well documented descriptions for us modders, until a certain grade.
That what you try is, as I sayed, the most demanding thing.
For the same effort trying to reverse engineer the engine you could write a whole new game instead I think.

So my suggestion; give up. Isnt worth the headache.

• Tecness
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
28 Oct 2014 11:58 #69632 by Tecness
Give up? You mean, quit? Quitting is for quitters who quit.
I consider it worth the headache. While the playerbase may be small, and the modding community is actually the majority of the playerbase of the game, if I could do something that nobody else has done, wouldn't that make my simple mod, a slight cut above the rest? While I may get side-tracked a lot, but other games. I still still continue to work on this thing until I am satisfied with what I've done with my simple coding abilities.
As it currently stands, this task is the only thing severally slowing my progress.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds