Problem trying to get the Old stargate mod to run with steam

• code
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
17 Aug 2017 00:21 #88117 by code
Ok so I've tried and tried to get it to work... stargate empire at war 1.3 english won't work and I've followed all the directions i could find it still won't work.

The star wars empires of war i have is the steam gold pack and the operating system I use is windows 10.

I don't know whats going wrong but it won't even try to load this version just keeps right on loading the star wars version. I've done the launch path method... nothing changes. Tried using a launcher program for it from your site same thing happens it just loads starwars not stargate. In a final attempt i tried to replace the gamedata file with the mod data and in this case i got a different result... the game wouldn't even load at all.

I've tried downloading both the german version and the english versions yes there seems to be two different versions but none of them worked at all. I went through both chrome and bing with the downloads made no difference at all.

please note that i have played the newer game for the anceints on foc but now I would like to play the older version stargate for star wars empires at war.

this is the paths I used for the older version
D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Star Wars Empire at War\GameData\Mods
So how do you get it to work?
The topic has been locked.
More
17 Aug 2017 03:27 #88118 by Imperial

I don't know whats going wrong but it won't even try to load this version just keeps right on loading the star wars version. I've done the launch path method... nothing changes. Tried using a launcher program for it from your site same thing happens it just loads starwars not stargate.

Uh that sounds terribly frustrating, I'm so sorry. (Felt very frustrated the whole day myself as some of my modding attempts failed).
One issue that can happen with our launcher is that the Start parameters for EAW in Steam overwrite the ones of our SGTPC Launcher, thus if you use any launcher (currently until it was fixed) please copy any Steam launch parameters to any document to the side and remove them from steam so they don't interfere.
But.. the SGTPC Launcher only launches Stargate Pegasus Chronicles for Forces of Corruption.

In a final attempt i tried to replace the gamedata file with the mod data and in this case i got a different result... the game wouldn't even load at all.

This happens because some Xml instances are built upon other instances like a house of cards, if you remove one of them or overwrite it with (different) stargate content it may fall like a house of cards and cause a exception.

I've tried downloading both the german version and the english versions yes there seems to be two different versions but none of them worked at all. I went through both chrome and bing with the downloads made no difference at all.

My respect for all attempts.

please note that i have played the newer game for the anceints on foc but now I would like to play the older version stargate for star wars empires at war.

Is legit.

this is the paths I used for the older version
D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Star Wars Empire at War\GameData\Mods
So how do you get it to work?

You can use Imperialware to launch classic Stargate EAW
Download:
mega.nz/#!6UUVHDwR!D1ThKIAf3Xi0l-gMRa-ISE03xt0bRhEymDx2WQO1etQ

More Info:
www.stargate-eaw.de/index.php/de/forum/d...ic/4064-imperialware

Text Tutorial:
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

My playlist shows a detailed usage tutorial:
www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLild8kZ8-...GuWpqFY932TmKvSGLky5

But here you need to remove all launch parameters from steam too, because the program directly launches with parameters of its own and steam would overwrite them otherwise.

Or, of course you could try another attempt at launching via Steam parameters instead:

"sweaw MODPATH=Mods\Stargate"

I hope this helps
  • code
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
17 Aug 2017 09:05 #88121 by code
tried them all now and still doesn't work
I get this text box with imperial
D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Star Wars Empire at War\GameData\Mods\Stargate\Data\Text\MasterTextFile_English.dat
doesn't exist, please try a other language in Game Settings.

It recognizes the mod, the game files, the save files just won't run it

steam method wont work either
  • Locutus
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • [SGMG] Project Co-Lead, Lead Coder, 3D-Artist
More
17 Aug 2017 11:08 #88122 by Locutus
When the vanilla game loads instead of the mod you either have an incorrect installation path or the start parameters are wrong.
Sometimes, when extracting, it is possible that you end up with multiple Data folders nested inside of each other.

As a first thing, we have to make sure that your mod is in the correct path. Imperial's tool claimed that D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Star Wars Empire at War\GameData\Mods\Stargate\Data\Text\MasterTextFile_English.dat
doesn't exist on your machine. Have you made sure that it does?
Please triple-check the path and make sure it doesn't look like this:
D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Star Wars Empire at War\GameData\Mods\Stargate\Data\Data\Text\MasterTextFile_English.dat
You can also post a screenshot of that path so we can validate it;)

Secondly, make sure that your command parameters are correct. Would you please post a screenshot of the launch parameters you have entered in Steam?
More
17 Aug 2017 11:34 #88123 by Imperial

doesn't exist on your machine. Have you made sure that it does?

Yep, thats right. Please try "Game" and click on "Open" near the Game Path: Empire at War, is the Stargate directory inside of .\GameData\Mods
and is "Data" inside of Stargate?

Also I noticed
D:\SteamLibrary is not the standard path for steam, beside of the D drive. Usually it would be:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars Empire at War\Gamedata

So I have a suspection. Maybe EAW installed in the original steam path in Program files, then you moved the steam directory to D:\SteamLibrary without adjusting the Registry paths for EAW. But this is just a theory, if the "Reset" button near Game/Game Path EAW is setting the path to be at D:\SteamLibrary it should be correct.

Secondly, make sure that your command parameters are correct. Would you please post a screenshot of the launch parameters you have entered in Steam?

For direct launching via steam indeed.
For launching using Imperialware better not, it would just overwrite the launcher parameters.
  • code
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
17 Aug 2017 11:50 #88124 by code
Ok so what i'm getting is this when I go looking for it

D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Star Wars Empire at War\GameData\Mods\Stargate\GameData\Mods\Stargate\DATA\Text

• code
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
17 Aug 2017 12:12 #88125 by code
Thank you so much for the help Imperial

Ok so I reworked the file organization so that double file no longer exist then used the steam launch path and it worked. Now that I know windows is creating the double folders I can do this with other mods too and hopefully they will work too. I'm gonna post a link in steam discussions to here so others who have the same issue can find help for it since your help was better than any i found online.
More
17 Aug 2017 12:51 #88126 by Imperial
You are welcome, glad it works now. :D

Now that I know windows is creating the double folders I can do this with other mods too and hopefully

I'm curious, what exactly was the problem - was the Stargate directory nested into itself, twice as Locutus suspected?

Or was just the path wrong?
Then you could in future just use Imperialwares "Open" in "Game/Game Path: EAW" to open the right path and just drop new mods into it.
  • code
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
18 Aug 2017 20:20 #88132 by code
yes it was nested inside itself and needed to be reorganized to make it work. Apparently windows 10 likes to play mind games when it unzips files. Now that i know this i can look for it from now on.

I want to say Thank you to both you imperial and Locutus again for all the help.

D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Star Wars Empire at War\GameData\Mods\Stargate\GameData\Mods\Stargate\DATA\Text
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds