× Hello there,

Before you post a bug report or a feature or help request, please think about these things first:

This forum is for questions about problems with the mod, feature requests for future work and reporting bugs with the current build. Please do not post anything about Stargate in general or such.

Search before posting. There might be another topic written by someone with the same problem as you have that resolved the issue.

Do not hijack someone else's topic with irrelevant questions of your own.

Please try to test bugs more than once; a bug may only happen one time and thus needs not be resolved after for example restarting the game and trying again.

When reporting a bug or asking for help, please supply us with as much relevant information as possible. State what the problem is, when it occured, if you changed something yourself just before the problem occured and so on.

Last but not least, remember to be polite!

Models and other data not loading.

• Locutus
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • [SGMG] Project Co-Lead, Lead Coder, 3D-Artist
More
26 Jan 2018 10:22 #88671 by Locutus
The devs are currently working on an additional patch for EaW.
However, they are doing that in their free time and are not getting paid for doing so. So it will rather address minor fixes and improvements, not a massive redesign of the engine.
There are simply limits when it comes to using an engine from 2006^^

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2018 11:55 #88672 by Imperial
We have no access to hardcoded aspects of the engine like fleet formation behavoir.
But there is a game mechanic that at least gives you some control of your spawning formation: Remember that black little box at the top left side over every planet ?

If you move any space unit into that field that unit will spawn as first one(s) on the field, then you can dragg and drop the rest of your flet where you want.
I'd use a small hero here who moves fast enough to bring you close enough to enemy fleet and also can sustain some damage.

Then you move your fleet into the back of enemy forces and deal ass kicks to them.
This will be a lot of fun especially with hyper jumping units.

The engine is indeed outdated and buggy as hell. On the ofher side I feel like I chose the right game to mod: After a decade there are still us modders and even the game gets dev support (you can only dream of dev support after a decade, even after 4 years in the game industry).

I tried Anno 1404 a while ago, which is rather driving economics then fleet battles, anyways I noticed the battle mechanics of Anno are not as advanced as the EAW ones, they have literally no AI at all. There are many new games but I think even today ... EAW is not that bad. ^^

I'm really pleased to hear you like the ability to dock ships to the Ancient Starbase.

I heared many opinions, that these additional hick hack I added to the Ancient Starbase are just draining performance without any real benefit.
Now my concept was adding new functions to the game, as I am very interested in game mechanics.

There is a way to add such new mechanics, using lua scripts, though their functionality is limited to the available lua commands we have for EAW.

More
26 Jan 2018 12:31 #88673 by Boriss
Imagine the stuff this game could do with a new engine.
Apart from the fleet formations it would do magic to allow multi-player factions in GC.

Imagine that instead of commanding all of the empire or rebellion in that original GC, you get 1 small fleet. You will be tasked with quests, at the start it will be something like "support our fleet fighting in this sector" and "defend this sector for 20 minutes until help arrives then wipe the enemy out", "we have conquered a planet, build a garrison, train a force and assist in conquering this sector" and at the end "take command of the grand army and engage the enemy in this sector".
This sort of stuff could work in Sins of a solar empire tho.
Imagine the possibilites in EaW if they make this possible by makin better engine. You will take command of an SG team at the start, doing scouting, securing mining sites and new extra terrestrial bases, fighting goa´uld, then getting command of a space ship, making it into fleet, defeating the Goa´uld, venturing into Pegasus, fighting wraith and ori. Visiting the Asgard.
OR even brand new stuff. Like there was supposed to be another SG film. Like imagine makin new campaign about that.
"Atlantis received a strange signal, that we interpreted as a call for help. Signal source is in this sector. Find out whats goin on.
You scout it and it turns out wraith have found out that lost asgard tribe´s base and are gettin ready to wipe them out and claim their technology, removing their core weakness, energy generation. This threat is so great the wraith have bonded once again and it seems this conflict will lead to the extinction of a race. Either asgard or wraith. Then the moral dilemma, do we have the right to wipe out the wraith? While fighting the wraith as asgard are better friends for us it turns out asgard clone technology can be incorporated into wraith hive ships, allowing wraith to feed off the ship itself, removing all need to harvest humans while preserving wraith race. And then it is a race to make a working prototype of this stuff with Tedd before the gread wraith armada comes for asgard to wipe them out."
Man that would be so cool a campaign.

More
28 Jan 2018 07:20 #88683 by Imperial

This threat is so great the wraith have bonded once again and it seems this conflict will lead to the extinction of a race. Either asgard or wraith.

I hope I don't spoiler anything, but you did saw the last SG episode?

Then the moral dilemma, do we have the right to wipe out the wraith?

Uh I love games with moral dilemma, probably a reason why I use so many Telltale games. :D

While fighting the wraith as asgard are better friends for us it turns out asgard clone technology can be incorporated into wraith hive ships, allowing wraith to feed off the ship itself, removing all need to harvest humans while preserving wraith race.

I'd prefer sticking to the original Series instead of inventing any fanfic stuff.

Imagine the possibilites in EaW if they make this possible by makin better engine.

In case of EAW the word Engine might be a bit misleading, the data structure is pretty seperated and all content is basically built upon the engine and relating to it.
You can't just drag the engine out and replace it with a new one like you can just do it with cars, because it is 10x less work to simply produce a new game then fixing all bugs on the way through engine replacement or engine upgrade.

Though, there was this petroglyph game: Universe at War, maybe EAW content could be ported to that one in order to mod it instead.

More
28 Jan 2018 09:59 #88686 by Boriss
Better engine actually referred to my hope that EaW 2 will happen someday. Hmm, maybe we can talk dem developers to start a project on some startup web.

More
28 Jan 2018 22:09 #88689 by Boriss
For some reason, the newest patch for stable version refuses to download on steam. Tried to redownload the mod didnt help.

• Locutus
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • [SGMG] Project Co-Lead, Lead Coder, 3D-Artist
More
30 Jan 2018 18:19 #88692 by Locutus
Since a few months the patches for the Steam version are no longer being downloaded through the launcher but through the Steam Workshop itself. This means that Steam will update the mod automatically.
So if you have Steam your mod is automatically up-to-date:)

More
30 Jan 2018 22:12 #88693 by Boriss
mod launcher says game is not up to date, steam refuses to download any updates and the bug where on othala you cant build the supership Asgard cause those 4 stations are missing is still there

More
10 Feb 2018 13:08 #88697 by Imperial
Hmm you might reinstall the mod

More
10 Feb 2018 18:48 #88702 by Boriss
Tries before posting it here, tried again today. Did not help.
mod version 1.5.1
launcher version 1.5.9
Can it be cause of the other mod I have? Republic at war.

Time to create page: 0.992 seconds