× Hello there,

Before you post a bug report or a feature or help request, please think about these things first:

This forum is for questions about problems with the mod, feature requests for future work and reporting bugs with the current build. Please do not post anything about Stargate in general or such.

Search before posting. There might be another topic written by someone with the same problem as you have that resolved the issue.

Do not hijack someone else's topic with irrelevant questions of your own.

Please try to test bugs more than once; a bug may only happen one time and thus needs not be resolved after for example restarting the game and trying again.

When reporting a bug or asking for help, please supply us with as much relevant information as possible. State what the problem is, when it occured, if you changed something yourself just before the problem occured and so on.

Last but not least, remember to be polite!

Ground tactics and option for canon space scale size

More
06 Jan 2017 05:17 #85383 by Sigma
Hello! While playing the open beta campaign the other day I enjoyed how much differences there is between the two factions, it really makes each game unique and forces you to think of new strategies. :)

What I was hoping was that ground combat would have this same variety, with each faction have strengths and weaknesses.

Also another thing that would be nice is if ground combat emulates how it was in the show. Except for the rare occasion, ground combat in Stargate episodes were never really like the massive air/land battles seen in star wars. Rather they usually focused on raids, shootouts and standoffs, and had some sort of armor or air support if there was a hard target that needed to be taken out. I hope the mod devs can pull this off somehow.

One last thing I ask for is if in a future version could you make it an option in the launcher to have canon unit scaling? It's a bit weird watching units like the Prometheus, Ha'tak, Hiveships, and stations spit out a squad of fighters larger than the hanger that they're coming out of and with cockpits as large as space ship bridges. I know it's to be able to see the fighters while zoomed out, but immersion is nice and it would be good for screenshot purposes. :)

Anyways goodjob so far and good luck!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2017 06:02 #85384 by Imperial
Welcome Sigma

What I was hoping was that ground combat would have this same variety, with each faction have strengths and weaknesses.

Makes sense.

Also another thing that would be nice is if ground combat emulates how it was in the show. [...] I hope the mod devs can pull this off somehow.

Yeah, "somehow" is the trick here. Pretty hard to achieve though. :D

More
06 Jan 2017 18:13 #85389 by Sigma

Imperial wrote: Welcome Sigma

Yeah, "somehow" is the trick here. Pretty hard to achieve though. :D

Thanks! I'm glad to be here!

Without having to code new things and using vanilla assets the way I could see it working is on planets that are hazardous (rocky/mountainous, lava worlds, places with little moving room) the pop-cap for deployment could be limited and have it so hover vehicles and tanks can't be deployed.

Infantry and certain heros like SG-1 could use the galactic map stealth and raid ability which would allow the infantry of the various factions to launch small scale attacks on bases without needing a fleet to conquer space first. This would make sense considering the stargates on planets. :P It would also be challenging.

This could also be a basis for putting a special constructable building to install and iris to prevent raids or a cheaper option to bury a stargate witch would prevent raids but also keep the player from being able to launch raids from that planet. Sorry, I'm getting carried away lol.

• Locutus
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • [SGMG] Project Co-Lead, Lead Coder, 3D-Artist
More
06 Jan 2017 18:46 #85391 by Locutus

Sigma wrote: One last thing I ask for is if in a future version could you make it an option in the launcher to have canon unit scaling?

You could also do sth. like that by yourself: Simply change the <Scale_Factor> for each fighter to something you approve.

Sigma wrote: Infantry and certain heros like SG-1 could use the galactic map stealth and raid ability which would allow the infantry of the various factions to launch small scale attacks on bases without needing a fleet to conquer space first.

We purposely replaced the Zann Consortium with the Tau'ri to have similar raiding abilities as those underworld guys had. So it's indeed planned to have a more raid-y play style for the Tau'ri but we also want to adjust that to the timeline/GC that is being played. But we'll have to see how it turns out in the end since we have to find a balance between fun and realism.

Sigma wrote: Sorry, I'm getting carried away lol.

He, we know that feeling :D
But your ideas are always welcome!

More
06 Jan 2017 19:14 #85395 by Imperial

Infantry and certain heros like SG-1 could use the galactic map stealth and raid ability which would allow the infantry of the various factions to launch small scale attacks on bases without needing a fleet to conquer space first. This would make sense considering the stargates on planets. current/tongue It would also be challenging.

This could also be a basis for putting a special constructable building to install and iris to prevent raids or a cheaper option to bury a stargate witch would prevent raids but also keep the player from being able to launch raids from that planet. Sorry, I'm getting carried away lol.

I have the idea in my backhead to write some costum lua code that enables the player to dial the selected planet, then all ground forces on the outgoing planet would teleport to the target planet and trigger a ground battle without need of space fights.

I didn't had time resources for a first attempt of this, but as we got very excelent gate sounds now it might be a nice idea, what do you think?

More
07 Jan 2017 02:35 - 07 Jan 2017 03:18 #85407 by Sigma

Locutus wrote: You could also do sth. like that by yourself: Simply change the <Scale_Factor> for each fighter to something you approve.

That's good to know, I will remember that for the next version. Does it also change the sclae of the projectiles they emit? Or is that a different setting?

Imperial wrote: I have the idea in my backhead to write some costum lua code that enables the player to dial the selected planet, then all ground forces on the outgoing planet would teleport to the target planet and trigger a ground battle without need of space fights.

I didn't had time resources for a first attempt of this, but as we got very excelent gate sounds now it might be a nice idea, what do you think?

I love the idea! It just wouldn't be stargate without having a team of commandos jump across the galaxy to another planet. I'm interested to see how the the stargate dialing mechanic would work, if implemented.

As for playability vs. canon/realism, I'm in the camp of trying to keep it as close to canon as possible without sacrificing (too much) gameplay. :P Ideally I really love how Awakening of The Rebellion mod did things with the campaign part of the game as well as their land combat. The Pegasus Prelude reminds me of that, so I'd say you are on the right path.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2017 03:18 by Sigma.

More
07 Jan 2017 14:05 #85418 by Jack Hunter
Well, if we would be as close as to realism the Tau'ri only have the Prometheus, Daedalus, Odyssey and the two other BC-304 plus a few F-302 interceptors. That would be boring. :P

Don't worry, we're working on the ground part and there will be very nice things for every faction, but first we should replace every vanilla piece to get the factions working properly. Then we can implement special mechanics and gameplay features. But this needs it time and we can't work on all front at the same time.

Texter und Planet Coder (GE) der SGMG
Berater und Co-Autor von Stargate Dark Jump
Korrekturleser für Fan Fictions

Time to create page: 0.726 seconds